Girls Middle School Division
2019 SCLA GIRLS LACROSSE RULES
Major Changes/Information for 2019
- The “self start” rule will be incorporated for the SCLA’s Girls MS Division
- Mesh pockets are legal
- Deputy rule: There is no deputy in youth lacrosse. The only person allowed in the goal at any time is the goalkeeper. There is also no stick follow through into the crease.
- Colored mouth guards are required for all players. Mouthpieces may not be clear, white or have graphics of white teeth.
- US Lacrosse approved protective eyewear is mandatory.
- No jewelry.
- Head coaches are required to attend pre-game meeting at mid-field.
- Maximum number of coaches allowed on the sidelines per team is three (3).
- Spectators must be on the opposite side of the field of the players and coaches (unless on stadium seated field.)
- Goalie must be fully protected according to US Lacrosse Rules.
- Time outs are two (2) minutes, one timeout per half. Time outs can be used following a goal and on a dead ball with possession. Injury time outs are taken by the official and should stop the game clock.
- On the fly substitutions for all levels.
- Yellow, bright orange or lime NOCSAE certified balls must be used. Women’s lacrosse regulation sticks only; mesh pockets are now legal.
- Players shake hands, not sticks, following games.
- Player serving a two (2) minute penalty time must serve it in the substitution area.
- Two yellow cards by the same player in the same game will lead to disqualification for that player for that game.
- A red card issued to a player, coach or spectator will be an automatic ejection from that game. Players receiving a red card are suspended for that game and the next subsequent game. Players, coaches and spectators ejected from a game are subject to additional disciplinary actions.
- If it is an unusually hot day, and an additional water time out is needed, the coaches will decide before the game and inform the officials.
- The winner of the coin toss will have the option of choosing ends of the field or having the first possession that occurs.
- Goalkeeper may not draw, shoot or score for her own team.
- If a coach is red carded, he/she must leave the area and the team will play short a player for 4 minutes. If a coach receives a yellow card, the team will play short a player for 2 minutes. Player must remain in penalty box.
Middle School Rules (MS)
- Two (2) 25 -minute running time halves with the clock stopped during the last two minutes of each half, and during times outs.
One - two (2) minute timeout per half. Half time is 5 minutes.
- Modified checking (below the shoulder.)
- 1 v 1 defense no longer applies.
- Team will get free possession at midfield after goal when down by four (4) or more goals. One pass required. Coach of the trailing team may opt for the draw.
- No coaches allowed on the field.
- Regulation pocket and stick length.
- One - four (4) minute, sudden death overtime. No time outs during OT. First goal ends the game.
- Score of the game will be recorded and shown.
- Player’s sticks may touch the ground over the center circle and restraining line on the draw.
- During the draw, both sticks must be parallel to and above the center line.